Wowza, this one is delish. Officially my favorite breakfast. If you have been following along, you already know that we like to cook our breakfast for the week in advance. So I cooked this up at the beginning of the week and distributed it into a few jars. This way I could grab it and go on my busy mornings. Personally, I am not a fan of skipping breakfast, so this one was a game changer after the gym and when I’m running to do school drop off. Not going hungry over here! 😉 If You have some extra time in the morning, warm up your serving and top it with a poached or fried egg and avocado. So good! A little Frank’s too if you like things spicy.
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups of spinach or kale, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil or ghee
- 1-2 Eggs prepared your favorite way
- Shredded Cheese
If you want to prepare this in advance you may prep everything above and store it in the refrigerator.
- Cook bacon, drain and chop.
- While bacon cooks heat 1 Tbsp. cooking fat in large sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add sweet potatoes and sauté for about 12-15 min or cooked through.
- Add remaining ½ Tbsp. of cooking fat, to sweet potatoes and add onions, red pepper, garlic and mushroom. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add spinach or kale, and bacon and sauté until greens are wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Top with optional cheese, poached egg, and avocado and serve.
We hope, if you take anything away from this recipe, it’s that even when you are busy, you can still have a great balanced breakfast to start your day. Just make it ahead and work with what you have.
Katie and Judy